Monday, June 29, 2009

Sweet Talkin' at 14

I've mentioned here, before, that Clint and I have a bit of history that predates our current relationship—back to kindergarten or thereabouts. In 1977, we were 14 years old, and buddies, stopping to chat when we rode by one another's houses on our bikes, or hanging out in my dad's garage. I'll admit to having had a bit of a crush on him. I'll also admit to being terribly shy. Crush or no crush, I turned down his invitation to a movie once because I didn't have money, and wasn't sure he intended to treat. God forbid I should just ask him!

He had a pet name for me (ok, it was more of a nickname than a pet name, but this is my story): "Goggles Pizano." Adoring Making fun of my glasses, he chose the name based on a Fred Flintstone cartoon.



Me, circa 1977.

And, Goggles, circa 1977:






It is 30 years later. We were busy Saturday, cleaning up the the country casa, and in the midst of our tidying, I found his 1977 yearbook.

I, being the girl that I am, knew what he wrote in my '77 yearbook. So romantic, he, at 14:


He called me Goggles! Tee hee.

I had no idea what I might have written in his. Jackpot on Saturday when I happened across it!


OMGawwwwwwd. I was UBER-excited to flip through this book, and find out what precious thing I most certainly must have written to him, thirty two (32!!) years ago. We will carry it in our hearts, embroider it on our pillowcases, engrave it on our tombstones, this most-certain sacred sentiment.

I'm not kidding, that's where I was, mentally, on Saturday afternoon, when I flipped through his copy of our '77 year book, and read this:

...


...


...


keep scrolling, it will be worth it...


...


...



...


::Cough::

Ahem.

I'm absolutely sure that was meant to be flirtatious! I blame Clint for not realizing that what I meant by "you're an idiot" was "take me to the dollar movie, big boy."

Men just don't know how to communicate.

16 comments:

  1. Awwwe, how sweet! ;0)

    You were witty - - even then. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool Lori!

    Class of $1

    You rocked back then and more so now.

    Hey Idiot? You are one lucky guy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:35 PM

    you probably broke that poor boys heart way back then...I bet you are glad he got over it. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just spit out my soda! That cracks me up! Woo hoo! You probably were just flirting. Hope you've gotten the hang of it by now though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROTFL. Hilarious Lori. Glad that you have rediscovered that he's not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:05 PM

    Hahahaha..!!

    Now that WAS flirtatious, alright :D

    How could the boy not get it ;)

    At least he came around after 32 years to his goggle girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:19 PM

    too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just takes some of us a while to be conviced that something is really good.

    I turned down my now husband when he asked me to prom senior year in high school. A football player was much more interesting then.

    23 years later we starting dating after he answered a personal ad not knowing it was I who had written it. Fate works in strange ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marinemom9:34 PM

    I laughed out loud! How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thing he didn't hold on to that comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments, everyone; might be awhile before I live this one down! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of those moments that kind of stops your mind, doesn't it? That's a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Goggles... Anyone knows that when you call a boy names it means you really like them...

    I still think you should have Goggles and Idiot embroidered on the bath towels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a bit of a pack rat pays off. Great memories...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yearbooks can be scary too... Two girls that signed my Junior yearbook were murdered violently.. One was Karen Sue Beineman- the girl who was murder by a serial rapist/killer at Michigan State College in the 70's, and Bonnie Oom- also raped and murdered, killer never caught..

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!