Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Been busy...

I have been busy-busy, but I haven't forgotten you. 2010 is going to bring about a lot of changes in my life, and I have a window of "luxury" here in which I can determine if my future can possibly involve what I want to do, or if it will rotate more around what I have to do. I talked with Clint, and—you're going to love him for this—he advised me to try doing what I want to do.

I stewed on that for awhile. We are living in a state of construction, and while we have living space, our "spare" spaces are still full of storage and construction equipment. WHERE am I going to do what I want to do? I went back to Clint, because you know how much men like to talk. "Darling," I said, "can I haul all of that stuff out of that one little room, and can I have it all for myself? Like...tomorrow?"

I wasn't really thinking tomorrow, but Clint surprised me 2 days later, on my birthday, asking me to trudge up the stairs in the dark for a surprise:


This room was FULL of storage and construction tools just 24 hours before this was taken.


A little trip to the Salvation army cleared out this corner...





A few holes in these 100-year old walls had to be patched...





A fresh coat of paint, a good vacuuming and a thick coat of lemon oil on those floors...



A couple of carloads of supplies from the city casa, including 1 or 2  3 or 5 paintings I started ages ago, but never finished....


A workspace, a cozy chair, small TV, some internet, and it's time for this girl to start putting her money where her mouth is. It's a cozy little room, it's all mine, and I lurrrrrrve it.

Clint is infinitely amused that we've been working on restoring this place for almost 2 years, and the first room that's finished is one he'd put absolutely no thought into, and, before he met me, would never imagined its final purpose. I love that, when we just don't know how lovely something will be, in our future.

If you need me, I'll be at the easel.

9 comments:

  1. Yayyy! I lurve it! And I love this is the first *completed* room...that is neat [sniff, sniff]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I'ma going to sniff with Momo. That Clint ... what a great guy you have there Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I envy you I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Your own girl cave. I guess he knows you'll come out of it once in while cuz you love him so much. He's a real sweetie and I don't even know him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that? I hope your special room fills you with ispiration and creativity. And did you do that candlestick drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. I'm excited, and am already spending a lot of time in my "girl cave." Geewits, yah, the candlestick drawing was an old one I found in a sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awhh..you've got your pink hat hanging in there..cozy cozy..that's the word that pops into my head when I look at the room.. I can't wait to see all the fab things that you produce..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how wonderful. A room of one's own. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every girl needs a hobby... this is what my DH says to me :O)... he also provided me with a wonderful room, mine is for sewing...

    Congrats on that great new room.

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!