Thursday, June 19, 2008

Telemarketer or Gypsy?

Dorothy = My Mother, for this blog alone. The name has been changed to protect innocent little old ladies.

I was doing some work around the house and yard at my mother's house tonight, when the phone rang. She was off in the house somewhere, so I answered. A male voice on the other end asked "Dorothy?"

No, I told him, this is Lori.

"Can you put Dorothy on the phone?"

Look. My mom gets phone calls from about 4 people, and the rest are directed to me. She just gives them my phone number, as I've instructed. So I asked who was calling, please. He said "This is Josh," in a clear tone that indicated that it was absolutely none of my business who was calling.

Josh? My cousin Josh? My sister's nephew Josh?

"Josh who?" I asked him.

"JOSH SCHIZZLE.* IT'S JOSH SCHIZZLE, CAN YOU JUST PUT DOROTHY ON THE PHONE?!" he yelled at me.

Feh Schizzle? It's Josh Schizzle? Well, Josh Schizzle, I'm not putting Dorothy on the phone. No way in hell is Dorothy coming to the phone now that you talked to me like that.

"I want to know what you want, Josh," I told him.

He screamed at me then: "LOOK! FORGET IT! I OBVIOUSLY CALLED AT THE WRONG TIME, JUST FORGET IT!!!"

I think you called at the right time, Josh Schizzle. Unfortunately, this is the phone I just bought my Mom, to make it easier for her to call us, in case of emergency:



Great in theory, but aurghhhh, no caller I.D.

And this local blog entry posted just today comes to mind, immediately.

So. Josh Schizzle. You think he's someone preying on little old ladies, or just an irritable telemarketer? He spoke with such a tone of familiarity that I questioned my Mom: "have you been talking to anyone on the phone lately?" She swears no.

It was unsettling, this nasty call that I intercepted. What would Josh Schizzle have said to my Mother?! I went straight to Radio Shack and bought a caller ID box to attach to the phone. I gave Mom explicit instructions not to answer the phone to anyone she didn't recognize, and to hang up if she doesn't know who she's talking to. And I'll be checking that caller ID every day, and I'll be keeping an eye out for that stupid Josh Schizzle. Sheisel. Shezzel. However he might spell it, I'll be watching him.

Anyone else had to deal with odd phone calls like this? I mean, if I catch him, what in the heck do I DO with him?! Is "please put us your do not call list" enough?

Research is in order.

Ugh. Crazy people.



*Josh Schizzle's name has not been changed. I'm only protecting the innocent here; the rest can sit on it, Potsy.

15 comments:

  1. Check her service ... you can block numbers. I used to block annoying boys calling for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah...not cool, *definitely* shady. Go with your instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:25 AM

    Lori - *69 him and tell him you've got his number, literally!

    Good for you girl. Glad you were there to intercept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was thinking telemarketer, cause they do that "can I speak to joe" thing to get to the person they want.

    They way he got frazzled though, I'm thinking he's preying on the old ladies.

    On the other hand, he might just be a really frazzled telemarketer who's fed up with being hung up on and just lost it.

    Can't you get on the no call list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I was thinking telemarketer, cause they do that "can I speak to joe" thing to get to the person they want.

    They way he got frazzled though, I'm thinking he's preying on the old ladies.

    On the other hand, he might just be a really frazzled telemarketer who's fed up with being hung up on and just lost it. Whatever, the guy is an asshat.

    Can you get on the no call list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The National Do Not Call Registry actually worked pretty well for me. There are some exclusions, but telemarketing calls went down about 95% when I signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys. I re-registed Mom on the Do Not Call registry this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are on that list and they call again, I believe they are eligible for a fine from the Gov.

    Scary how he talked though....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:52 PM

    Somehow, this post makes me respect you even more for how sensitive and cautiously attentive you are when it comes to the safety of your mom.

    I wish to be that daugter to my mom too..when she grows that old.

    Hope the nasty calls end with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. schizzle pizzle wizzle snizzle little wiener. That turd! You flushed him good, though. And followed up, too! I think Dorothy is safe, and lucky to have you looking out for her. You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:30 PM

    *69 - that's a great idea. She is lucky to have you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. BOO ON JOSH SHIZZLE!

    That's the only productive (or not so) thing I can add to this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think people that take advantage of the elderly should be...lets just say punished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh...hopefully he doesn't call back.

    Glad you were there to get the call, and to make his life more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:15 AM

    *shaking head*

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!