Sunday, May 17, 2009

Random Act of Kindness

She picked him up yesterday afternoon, and raced him to his Mama, how lucky am I? I only got to see him for about 15 minutes before I had to race off for the evening for a wedding. I don't think either of them noticed terribly, do you?


Before I raced out the door, though, Brian told me about a woman that sat next to him on the flight from Atlanta to Bloomington. He chatted with her about his flight home to marry Courtney, and their impending whirlwind return back to base. She was also traveling from Bloomington to Champaign, in the next leg of her trip, and they talked about her time here.

When the plane landed, Brian's neighbor wished him well, and pressed a $100-bill into his hand. He resisted, telling her she was a bit too generous, but she implored him to keep it. Her husband, who had also served in the military, had recently passed away. It was a gesture that he would have appreciated, she said.


There are moments, and then, there are moments.

Courtney and Brian's first wedding gift was a random act of a kindness from a complete stranger. It was a fairytale moment, that will be reminisced about and handed down; I imagine them regaling the tale to their grandchildren, some day.

This beautiful stranger.

Tough act to follow, huh?

14 comments:

  1. Things like that give you hope for the world in which we live.

    Have a great day on Tuesday, looking forward to reading all about it later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tough act to follow, huh?"Says the hometown hero award winning soldier's mom.

    I think you just might have your karma points paid ahead in spades... and it's gotten so out of hand it is overflowing to those near ya. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Awesome..God Bless to the newlyweds...try not to cry too much !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone.

    Mary P: I've already warned the bride that if I cry too much, it's because I'm happy. I foresee myself falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so touching! Wonderful story. And auspicious kickoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re-read what Glock21 said and pretend I'm saying it, too. :) (With thanks to Glock21)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best glimps of what is in story for these lovebirds!

    Goose-bump story!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. StFarmer2:44 PM

    Remember when I said I wish them a life filled with the kindness of strangers? This is exactly what I meant!

    That is a great story. I hope that Brian and Courtney will pay that kindness forward someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tough act to follow indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commented last night! But it never made it, I guess!

    Don't remember exactly what I said, except that the act of kindness is clearly good karma and the circle of love paying it forward.

    Truly well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!