Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday afternoon in photos

"Severe wind advisory" was weather.com's report for today, but Severe Sun lured me to a'wandering about with the camera for the afternoon. I had no idea where I'd end up, but I managed to get there, in 4 hours time.

First stop was UI Athletic fields, filled with several frisbee football games. A tough sport on "severe wind" day. Those with the wind consistently overshot their boundaries, while those against battled wobbly, tipping tosses. It was the first time I've used the "sports" mode on the new camera, and I was pleased with the results.




This at the cemetary on St. Mary's Road:



I stopped into Jane Addams, a downtown used bookstore. Though I usually like this place, I found it chaotic and overwhelming today. Blindly browsing through a million billion books was not for me on this afternoon. Still, I like the look of the place, and would have taken more pictures if I'd felt I wasn't interfering with other, more serene, browsers.




Taken out of my car window, at Crystal Lake Park (because no single female in her right mind gets out of her car in that park):


And my favorite for the day, also taken out of my car window. This one in Urbana, in the neighborhood East of Lincoln Square. Apparently this gardener had had it up to here! These signs were posted on each corner of her lot, causing me to hit the brakes and back up for a quick snap. If you can't read it here, click to enlarge.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Why don't people pick up the poop? The worst culprets around here are the condo owners. I guess they figure they are more important because they are buying their apartments and we just rent.
    They put these poles up all around with signs about the law and bags. So what do these ignorant dog owners do. They let their dogs poop in front of the poles.
    I'll get off my soapbox now. I just think if I have to walk around with plastic bag mitten full of dog poop all dog owners should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the poop thing too. But I'm a cat person.

    The photos are beautiful! I love the whole day. Today looks like that here. I'm taking my camera and will see what I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! It is always nice to see this - I don't know why blogger won't let me upload any right now...grrrrrr

    Anyways - you always tell good stories with your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pictures....
    And I WANT THAT SIGN. As if it would help. It drives me insane. I don't have a dog for a reason, and I certainly don't want to pick up someone ELSE'S dog's poop!! If I ever see the guy who's letting it happen...he better watch out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!