Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good Stuff

I've been reading some good stuff here in Bloglines lately. If you were right here, I'd say "Listen to this!" and read this stuff outloud to you. Don't beleive me? Just ask Clint.

Since you're not here, I just have to give you a few links, and trust that you'll go read.

Slick Sumbich made me snort coffee out mah nose this morning, when I read this one. Seriously, read to the end, it's not just about the photo.

Single Mom in the City made me laugh this morning also, with her tale of feeling oh-so-pretty and getting a different response. Read Here.


Actually, she often blows me away with her views on being a young single mother. She makes me laugh, she makes me cry. I've secretly decided she should be my daughter-in-law, though I haven't run that by either her or Brian. I like to stay out of other people's business, you know. Still, here's a sampling from The Battle of Being a Young-ish Parent, where she vents (justifiably, I might add) about the judgmental comments she gets from customers that know she has a son.

Shit happens people.

It's how you handle it that is a true demonstration of your character, not your age or the amount of life experiences you have.

Just because we're successful young parents does not mean we're an advocate for young pregnancies. It means that we are mature enough to assess our situations and do what is best for ourselves and our children.


There are a lot more prolific thoughts in that entry. Go check it out.

Janet, at Lord Celery had an amazing encounter with a stranger last week. Read here to feel good.


On the Way to Critter Farm Dani's a city girl that's transplanted herself and her family on a farm in Oregon. I've loved following her adventures in acquiring chickens and donkeys. I've laughed as she's reminded herself that she's no longer a city girl, and thus, it's up to her to untangle snakes out of blueberry netting. She has LOTS of fun photos of her adventures also. Here's one comparing the size of one of the eggs she collected recently, to a blueberry.


Not a very big omelet with this one, huh? (Photo by Dani)
I'm not linking to just one of Dani's entries. You have to read them ALL.

ARTWORK! I snagged this read at someone else's recommendation, and haven't been sorry. Mattias does a drawing a day in a moleskin journal, and they are amazing and fun. Today's entry is timely, consisting of cartoons with interesting ideas for Olympic events. To check out his renditions of Pig Boxing, Extreme Knitting, and Synchronized Sneezing, click on the link below

Mattias Ink

Ok. Go look, go read. If I find out you didn't, I'll be calling you, and reading these entries to your answering machines.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links! Those will keep me entertained at work today seeing as how I don't have any actual work to do.

    And to show you that I read the entries to which you linked, here's some comments:

    There's a woman in a house on Broadway Avenue in Urbana that decorates her yard all crazy for various "holidays". It's right next to Washington Early Childhood preschool so the teachers like to take the students on walking trips past her house. One year a class went out there and there was nothing in her yard. They were very sad. The teacher even went so far as to ring the doorbell and ask where the decorations went. "Oh," she said, "I'm actually moving to the larger house next door so all my decorations are packed. But don't worry, they'll be back!" And she kept her word. She loves that the school kids get such a kick out of her yard.

    As for being told you look horrible when you feel fabulous, I had the same thing happen to me at a previous job. I was younger and didn't usually wear any makeup. One day I decided to put on some eyeshadow. I thought I did a pretty good job considering I didn't usually wear it. When I got to work one of the women there took one look at me and said, "What's wrong with your eyes?" It took me years to feel comfortable wearing eyeshadow again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, Erin. I'll scratch you off of my call list. Your answering machine is safe from me.

    I'll have to do a drive-by on Broadway though.

    I've gotten the "What happened to you" question, after gussying up. Slap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOooooh, this was a fun surprise to find! Thanks for mentioning me! :-) Of course, I rushed right over to Slick Sumbitch because I wanted to read what makes you snort coffee out your nose :-) - his girlfriend is pretty dang funny, too!
    I read your other recommendations, too, but actually, I've decided that I wouldn't mind if you called up and read to my answering machine. So. There it is. Go ahead. You know where to get my number. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw damn! The only one I know (and I'm a total absolute fan) is Mattias. Now there are all these other blogs I'll have to check out.

    I'm going to have to quit my day job to read blogs full time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm....are you telling me what to do? This certainly feels like old times. Like that time you had me hold my breath when we passed that one cemetery...honest to god it was like 10 blocks long...

    Okay, anyway...I do have to vouch for the wonderfully, amazing, keeps you on your toes blog of Danni's. And, no, Im not biased at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farmgirl: Hey...I CAN get your number. Dont' be surprised if me & FrugalMom call you some night and ask you if you have chicken legs...

    Jazz: I think I found Mattias from YOUR blog. Thank YOU!

    FrugalMom: I HAD to slow down by that cemetary. To conserve on fuel, you know. Just think of the crisis this country would be in today if I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!