Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Can-Can Inquiry

Clint and I had a rare 30 minutes the other night, in which we wound down the evening by 9:00, actually meandered to the living room together, and *gasp!*...sat down. I kid you not, we plopped down, 4 feet (2 of his, 2 of mine) on one footstool, and we watched a television show together.

Pawn Stars, we were watching, have you seen this show? Kind of a good 'ol boys version of Antique Road Show. Vegas, baby, bring your loot in and sell it!

I always want everyone's loot to be worth a ga-ba-zillion dollars. I'm embarrassed for the guys that smart off: "I'm hoping to get $15,000," and then Rick says "$100 is my best offer." It's like having the doctor send you home with nothing but instructions to drink more liquids. Either way you're a drama queen: You're not that sick and you're not that rich. Sleep it off.

I digress; I have a much deeper point.

In this particular episode, a customer brought in a rusty old can of canned pearls that said "Can-Can" on them. There was an insinuation on the side of the can of the (pearl-based) treasures within. Here's Rick and Chumlee with the can o' pearls:

Stolen from episodewiki.. Hoping if they find me they will 1) exchange permission for exposure—after all, I have hundreds of   dozens of  four faithful readers; or 2) send me a ticket to bring my own secret valuables to the show. If all else fails, I will 3) remove this photo upon receiving cease and desist order.
Not having come across a can of Can-Can canned pearls before, the proprietor, Rick, couldn't risk offering too much on this guy's mystery treasure. Were they real or were they Memorex?

Still, he offered the man $10 to just let him open the can.

Ten! Ten whole dollars!

The Can-Can Man said that he had waited and wondered for TEN YEARS about what was in the can.

He took the money!!

He took the TEN BUCKS, after waiting TEN YEARS, and he waited anxiously for Rick to open the can.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Things don't get to me, much, but this guy did. I wanted to walk over there ("over there" being through the TV screen, through the TV store, and up to the TV counter), and slap him!

TEN YEARS?!! CONVICTION, man! Either keep the can and drive everyone you know crazy with it, or open it yourself! Do NOT PAY SOMEONE ELSE TEN LOUSY DOLLARS (oh, am I shouting?) to open that can that you've been staring at for 10 years.

::pant pant pant::

Crazed as I was, I leaned over and rubbed Clint's foot, and said "We are on the same page: we would let hell freeze over before we let someone else open our can for $10, yes, darling?" [Cuz that's how we talk, with the "yes, darlings"]

He agreed. Ah, bliss.

Heh. I'm a purger, he's a hoarder. Without discussing it, I know, we would each have done different things with our can.

And you? Open, save, or toss it to the Pawn Stars?

Our differences amaze me.

18 comments:

  1. I'd truck my can back home. Leave it for my kid to have better luck. I am just curious why the guy didn't do a little research before bringing it forward.

    Personally, I think they're probably onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Probably open and toss.

    So what was in the can?

    - Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPOILER ALERT:

    There was a strand of crappy plastic pearls in the can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a reality tv "producer" I can assure you, he'd already opened the can. It was all a set up. Sorry to spoil it, lovely lady! Your reaction is exactly what those "brilliant" minds behind tv were banking on.

    Regardless, I'd open the stupid can too- and no way I'd wait 10 years to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So he got $10 for a strand of crappy plastic pearls? The man is a genius! I bet he has cases and cases of them and makes lots of money that way. Maybe he is a relative of P.T. Barnum.
    As for keeping something unopened, no. My Granny gave me one of those sealed plastic cases from the U.S. Mint with a penny, nickel, dime and quarter and I cracked that thing open and bought some good stuff at the store. 41¢ went a long way in 1970 and what would that case be worth today? 41¢

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would've opened it, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just wondering what crappy things I can put in a can and sell? Rock in a can? Lint in a can? Sardines?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I'm watching the episode right now, I'd have opened the can when I got it

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Do NOT PAY SOMEONE ELSE TEN LOUSY DOLLARS (oh, am I shouting?) to open that can that you've been staring at for 10 years."

    He didn't pay anyone to open it. The Pawn Stars paid HIM to open it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're absolutely right. See what a tizzy I was in?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:13 PM

    I would put that shit on ebay, probably can get more than $10 just for someone else to open it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:59 AM

    can can-can of simulated pearls collectible gift. can originally sold for 85 cents in 1975. One unopened can recently sold at auction for 300 big ones. ten bucks to open it...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:53 PM

    I'm watching that episode right now...and I agree with chumlee....I would have been opened it lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. factchecker5:35 PM

    You can still purchase the can can canned pearls. There is a minimum order and they are real pearls. Just because you haven't seen something before doesn't mean it has no value.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Just because you haven't seen something before doesn't mean it has no value."

    Of course not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:23 PM

    What a dope! If he'd done an easy Google search, he's have learned that they were fake pearls in a can. Duh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:11 PM

    My father owned a TV and appliance store in the 60's. He gave away these cans of pearls as a promotional item. However, there was something else about the cans. Some of them were to have contained real pearls. I would have paid a lot more that $10 to have the unopened can for sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had the same can of pearls on ebay last week and I'm going to leave it closed for the next 50 years.

    here is the auction: http://www.ebay.it/itm/151041996283?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3033wt_1165

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!