Friday, July 01, 2011

Zappos Rocks!

Remember my post about how I fell off of my Naot Treasures shoes twice in one night?

I have developed PTSD from that footwear. Think of the scene in Rainman when Raymond panics at the hot water running in the tub: "Very bad! Very bad! Water burn baby!" Same thing for me, only my internal reaction at the sight of any high-heeled platform or wedgie-style shoe: 
"Fall-down shoes! Very bad, very bad! Fall down! Aurghhhhhhhhhhh!"
At the time I didn't have the heart to reveal what paid for those shoes that almost killed me. I'll tell you now. Are you ready? I ordered them from Zappos.com for:

$156.00

!!! I know. Mind you, it's not that they were overpriced; it's just what this particular shoe costs anywhere you go. Still, in the past I've pranced merrily about in $4 flip-flops. $156.00 shoes was a huge decision, and I get nauseous every time I think about wasting that kind of lettuce. (Lettuce = Street slang for money. Because Street is how I roll, peeps.)

My friend Liz implored me to try to return the shoes. I resisted—I didn't have the receipt or packaging, and not only had I worn the shoes, but I'd (ahem) scuffed them up a bit in the two weeks I wore them before sending them into retirement.

She was convincing though, and finally talked me into throwing myself at the mercy of Zappos' customer service department. I sent them a link to the fall-down blog, and begged them to read it.

Here's the letter I got back:
Hey Laura!

Thank you for contacting the Zappos Customer Loyalty Team with that very entertaining email! I loved it!

I am so sorry to hear about your mishaps with your Naot shoes! I read the blog and was thoroughly entertained but also a bit upset at the idea of you falling down due to your recent Zappos purchase.

Since you are such a great Zappos customer, and are not normally a "fally-down" person, I would be happy to make a one time exception and allow you to return your shoes for a full refund!

[Shipping instructions, free UPS label emailed to me.] 
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Zappos! I hope your ankle feels better! Let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.

Have a great day,
Big Andy
Customer Loyalty Representative
Zappos.com
Yes!! Big Andy credited all of my money back! Big Andy rocks! Zappos rocks! Money back rocks! New shoes rock! Liz rocks! Dancy-dancy-dance!

Have you ever ordered shoes from Zappos.com? Here's what happens:
1. Go to www.zappos.com, pick out some pretty shoes.

2. Order Shoes.

3. Close laptop.

4. Close eyes for 10 seconds.

5. Open eyes. See shoes.
I'm only barely exaggerating: Yesterday afternoon I used my shoe credit to order a pair of shoes, and they have been already been delivered to my house! I've had friends that ordered shoes at 10 p.m., and had them on their feet by 10 a.m. the next morning.

There can be no other explanation: It's magic.


And this, my friends, is how good companies keep their customers. Not that Zappos would have lost me as a customer; I've had amazing service from them for years, buying my own shoes and Mom's shoes there. I've returned a few that didn't fit right, always with no problems and at their expense.

The amazing thing about this return is that my issues with this particular pair of shoes was my own. Zappos was more than gracious to comp me when they were never at fault. See, Zappos gets it. They get that if they take good care of their customers, said customers will keep coming back. They'll gush about it to friends, and on facebook, and ::cough:: on their blogs.

They're funny, too. I made one phone call to discuss the reimbursement. You know the press #1 for this, and  #2 for that? Well, there's a press #5 for The Joke of the Day.

Of course I pressed #5. No spoiler here, if you want to find out the joke of the day, you'll have to call them yourself.

By the way, would you like to see the shoes that were delivered to my door today? Here they are, Jambu Odyssey:

Cute, huh! Nice and low with safety straps on them, I think we're going to make a fine couple, me and my Jambus.

Thank you, thank you Big Andy and Zappos. You've made a customer for life!

9 comments:

  1. And this is why we love you. (that and you feed us spaghetti)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:36 PM

    I heart Zappos and after this story I heart them more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I want a pair like these only open-toed. Gotta show off that pedi! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Zappos! Love Big Andy! :D Just got a pair of sandals for Tilda from there yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. StFarmer2:51 AM

    Zappos is a great company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahem.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! AWESOME!

    I dare, nay I DEFY you to fall out of those! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to go sit down after i read this. I can't believe you spent $156 on a pair of shoes. That would buy you TWO pairs of Nike Air Monarchs. Those shoes are like walking on a cloud. Are you one of those women like my friend Jeanette that refuses to wear tennis shoes? I'm happy the company reimbursed you, but really? $156? And the new ones you got look like a pair of Skechers I got for about $19 at Famous Footwear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Geewits! You're right, but I have answers, answers to all of your questions, I can justify!

    Arch-support baby. I looked at Skechers. I PINED for Skechers. Luckily Zappos has this little tool that lets you look at every shoe from every angle, and Skechers ain't got no arch support.

    I've tried to sneak by with the "half-the cost" shoes, only to find that with some time I can barely walk, and I'm out the money and shopping again--which in the end leaves me out more than $150--with shoes in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. Okay. I have no arches. I have flat Fred Flintstone feet.

    (my word verification is "boycaker." Really? boycaker? that's creepy.)

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!