Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mexican Chicken Lime Soup

Advil's keeping my tooth pain at bay, but Clint spent most of the day snoozing under the influence of Sudafed. Steak dinner put on hold for the 3rd night in a row, I decided Clint would be better off with chicken soup for dinner. Because I'm the boss of him. When he's too sick to argue.



I caught up with Momo on the phone while I diced vegetables, and she made me promise to send her the recipe if it turned out good. It was easiy to make, and it turned out GREAT, so here's the recipe.
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • garlic
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 4-6 c. chicken broth
  • chicken--I boiled a few boneless skinless chicken thighs with onion and garlic. I diced the chicken and saved the broth for the soup. In a pinch, stripping a store-bought rotisserie chicken would work great for this soup.
  • 1 c. long-grain white rice
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 bunch cilantro, separated into 2 bunches
  • 1 tomato, diced

Saute pepper, onion, and garlic, and cumin for about 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken both, diced chicken, and the rice. Add lime juice and 1/2 of the cilantro.

Simmer until the rice is cooked. Just before serving, toss in the fresh diced tomato, and the rest of the cilantro.

Next time I make this, I'll punch it up with some diced jalapeno, and serve with more lime.

It may have been Clint's second 12-hour Sudafed that alleviated his cold symptoms just after dinner, but I like to think that the soup had something to do with it also.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be trying that recipe immediately. I also have tooth problems, and steak is out of the question right now, so your post came at a perfect time!! Thanks for what you called bloghogging but what I call telling me like it is on my last post . As usual the King bows down to you...and will again I'm sure after I eat the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad you're up and around and seemingly feeling better!
    That soup, indeed, looks very yummy. I'd like some and I don't even have a toothache. :-)
    I want the King to bow down to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:33 PM

    It's the soup and your looovvvve. That's the key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! YUM! Glad Clint feels better and hope that you do, too (SOON)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:25 AM

    I make something very similar minus the lime as a "throw-together" kind of soup, and I know the magical powers it has, so you can definitely take credit for any healing that has taken place in your home!
    And you should definitely postpone steak night until after your tooth pain has fully subsided. Unless you like your steak pureed. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!