Sunday, November 30, 2008

Not a Toothache Trooper

Last Wednesday, I had an emergency root canal that was scrapped mid-procedure, after determining that my tooth is cracked straight through the middle. I was given a temporary filling and orders to make an appt. for oral surgery. Feeling better, I decided to arrange that after the holiday weekend.

Bad decide.

The tooth pain "dormancy" gave out at around 10 pm last night. I went from feeling vaguely headachey to writhing—writhing!—in pain. The entire right side of my face is throbbing. I have a pulse in the bad tooth, and in all of the other teeth, both top and bottom. I can feel a pulse in my right ear. In my right eye. I can even feel a pulse in tip of my nose.

Vicodin doesn't seem to ease the pain, but it does stop the pain-induced shaking. Ice is better than heat, I read, and I've been coupling that with a Clove bud oil & Orajel regimen. I'm trying to numb my entire head, but it's just not working!

I am NOT being a trooper about all of this! This scene from Cast Away has crossed my mind about 100 times today.


Actually, I've never made it through the movie Cast Away, because I can't bear to watch that scene; I get queasy and turn it off. Sorry, Tom Hanks. (In case Tom reads my blog.)

Maybe I won't go so far as to use an ice skate (I don't have one), but I will definitely be pounding down the door of an oral surgeon at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. I'll be begging for a procedure that normally terrifies me. That should be interesting as "Surgical fees must be paid on or before the day of surgery unless prior arrangements have been made." I'll definitely have to run around making prior arrangements.

And the Toys for Troops Christmas Gifts for Soldiers Event is 1 week away, and I worry that I'm going to feel like crap this week, no matter what happens. I have a lot to do, and it's looking like I'll be calling on you for help, out of sheer necessity. I've always been lousy at delegation, but I may get much better at it this week.

Never thought I'd say this, but cross your fingers that I'll have a big hole in my head by this time tomorrow night. I really don't want to feel like this a week from now.

8 comments:

  1. Stink!! You will feel sooooo much better once you get rid of that tooth. We've been there, done that. I, too, never thought I'd be begging for injections, drills, and the like. DO it, do ANYTHING...just get rid of this fricking, tortuous, never-ending pain!! Good luck in the morning. I'll be thinking of you.

    I hope the chicken soup helped Clint's ailments as well. When it rains, it pours, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry. Hope you feel better SOON and the dentist takes mercy and drills on you ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out, babe. Hope you feel GREAT real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I can't deal with tooth things either. I can't even fathom the pain you're in. I hope sleep finds you during the night and the oral surgeon makes quick work of that hole in your head. It will feel so much better when it's holier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:31 AM

    trust me, the extraction will be a piece of cake. You'll be good to go by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:57 AM

    If you need any help let me know. Plus you needed to feel better, Santa Rampage is just 2 short weeks away!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually good about pain. But tooth pain? Nope. Uh-uh... It's the worst pain in the universe, devised by some sadistic evil imp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if it's any consolation, you're still funny as hell. Even with every part of your body pulsing in pain. Poor thing...it will be over soon...

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!