Thursday, December 22, 2005

WrapItUp

Ahhh, the gifts are all purchased and the fun begins: Wrapping.

How are you guys at gift wrapping? I suck at it: Paper and tape, and if it doesn't quite fit, swear a little bit, and tape in a patch. If I'm feeling really crafty, I'll slap a stick-on-bow on the top and call it good.

I have a secret weapon, though, for those gifts that I want to make Extra Special: Diane. My friend of 20+ years, who is afflicted with a sickness: She LOVES to wrap gifts. I know! Weird, isn't it?

Di is stocked up; a tape dispenser is a necessity, of course, and then she forklifts out a set of stackable boxes filled with ribbon, and something called toule, and raffia, and shiny stuff and stringy stuff, and wire and blow torches and anvils.

A Diane-wrapped gift is a Creation; when all is said and done, it looks like spun sugar under your tree. It is bee-YOO-ti-ful, and has only one setback: it's so anticlimactic to open a "Diane" and find a pair of black socks inside.

It will never do to have the wrapping look better than the gift, I tell her, so I let her wrap only the best gifts of the season.

Here's one of this year's highlights that now sits under my tree.

5 comments:

  1. I love wrapping presents. With my sticky tape cut at the appropriate length lines around the dining table...I'm all set to go. 9 out of 10 times...I misjudge the length of sticky tape. I said I LOVED wrapping. I never said anything about being GOOD at it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's in that beautiful box? (you can tell us after Christmas!) Have a wonderful holiday.

    I admit, I like wrapping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm horrible at wrapping. Especially as the night goes on and I get tired and feel like I don't care anymore.

    We wrapped last night and I cut some paper wrong and...I made it fit somehow.

    This gift looks maaaavelous though!!! Diane did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely puts my environmentally friendly "wrapped in a newspaper" approach to gifts to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Di is a real wizard with that stuff! For the rest of us, God made gift bags. RS

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!