Thursday, November 14, 2013

NaBloPoMo 14: Birch Box

A year or so ago I began subscribing to Birchbox. Once a month a little pink box with another full of cosmetic goodies and other treats arrives in the mail. Many are sample-sized, but there's usually at least one full-sized item in the box, valued at $15-20 or so. An expensive eyeliner or mascara, or a jar of face cream or something.

When you sign up, you get to customized your box by putting in your preferences: your hair/eye color, and your general "look," so that you get items geared to your skin type and color.

Here's today's box. I love this part: What's in there? Is it going to be a great month, or a so-so month? In all honesty, there are some months that are just "meh." But there are jackpot "woohoo!" months that make up for it.




It's always wrapped so prettily--usually  more so than this. Everything is usually tissued and ribboned up.


The big unveil:



Ayres Body Butter. The accompanying literature reads that it has a "heady--dare we say sexy?--scent."
I tried this on, and I don't find the scent sexy. It does make my skin soft, but I don't like the smell at all.  Ok. I'll use it on my feet and cover it up with socks.


A small can of hairspray. Will always use...keep in desk drawer at work, in backpack, or for travel.


Plus, Liz just taught me how to big my hair, and the key ingredient is lots and lots of hairspray. Check out what she did to me in Chicago last weekend:



So hairspray, yes. It's a winner.

Next up; A Fatty Sundays Chocolate Covered Pretzel. The package says "Pretzels," but there is only a singular pretzel in there. One measly little pretzel about 2 inches long. I didn't eat it, I'm on a low-carb diet. I'll save it for an emergency.


Laura Mercier lip gloss. Win.


Blue fingernail polish. I'm not a bold nail polish girl, so these trendy colored bottles are pretty much the one thing I give away, every time I receive them. Blue, no. My hands are too ruddy for blue. I only look more like the zombies in the last post.


That's what came in the mail today. Sometimes I think it's a total waste of money, and I should cancel. 

On the other hand, this is the only monthly subscription, and it's a treat. Mystery and gift wrap, and girly products I like to play with.  A girl can't go around canceling all of her treats, y'know?

The worst thing about it: when you fall in love with something until you see the price of it. Oscar de la Renta Live in Love Body Scrub, for instance. I fell in looooove with this stuff, it smelled so good. $42 for 6 ounces, however, so no thank you. You know, that's $7 an ounce, which when multiplied by 144 ounces, means this stuff costs more than $1000/gallon. For soap.

I'll pass on the $1000 soap, but stick with my $10 treat for awhile longer. And hey, if you're interested, tell 'em I sent you--there are bonus points or something for referring a friend. Maybe they'll knock $100 off of that soap if enough of you sign up.

2 comments:

  1. That blue is perfect for your toes. Trust me, it is my favorite toe color. Or for, you know, those weird people who get their nails done specifically for the 4th of July. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 dollars?! Im considering it.

    ReplyDelete

Back talk! Comment here!