Thursday, August 10, 2006

Zip Code Look Up

I often use the USPS Zip Code Lookup tool online, and I always find this amusing.


  1. Anonymous7:58 PM

    I've enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks for coming over,I had a great time! I am making another pizza tonight I had ingredients left over~crazy... Still can't find that corkscrew!
    Have a great Day!

  2. Anonymous8:45 PM

    It's kind of like looking up a word in the dictionary that you don't know how to spell...but even weirder.

    Hey, nice to see a note from Zia. That was a great time and awesome pizza. Lucky I carry a corkscrew with me, eh? I'm thinking Middle Eastern cuisine for September.

  3. Anonymous10:36 PM

    If you would like to see something ridiculous try and call a post office from one of the numbers that are listed the USPS website. 90% of them ring endlessly and the other 10% end up in a breakroom in Pt. Barrow AK.

  4. We have "Post Code" so how is "Zip" code derived? Is it the initials for something?

  5. That is like looking up redundant in the dictionary only to see the definition is redundant.

  6. Dogbait: Sure, make go look something up and learn a thing or two! According to Wikipedia,

    A ZIP code is the postal code used by the United States Postal Service (USPS), which always writes ZIP with capital letters. ZIP is an acronym for the Zone Improvement Plan but was also meant to suggest that mail travels more efficiently (and therefore faster) when senders use it. The basic format consists of five numerical digits. An extended ZIP+4 code includes the five digits of the ZIP code, a hyphen and then four more digits, which allow a piece of mail to be directed to a more precise location than by the ZIP code alone. ZIP Code was originally registered as a trademark by the U.S. Postal Service but its registration has since expired.

  7. I have always laughed at that too!

  8. I agree - every time I can't spell a word, someone tells me to grab tghe dictionary. I'm so glad someone figured out that it's just plain dumb. Thank god for computers. You write it as close as you can and spell check takes you home.

  9. Thanks for that, Loripedia. Of course I should have looked it up myself. Wow, it's practically a whole thesis on the subject. My Postcode is 3226 and is very simple with 3 being Victoria and the rest signifes the Ocean Grove postal area. Like the UK you can pin yours down to a particular street.

  10. Yeah, spellcheck is great. Except for Blogger spellcheck, which apparently doesn't recognize such words as "Blogger" and "sidebar". WTF?


Back talk! Comment here!